|1Mezhzherin, SV, Saliy, TV, 1Tsyba, AA, Losev, AA |
1I. I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2017, 11:83-89|
A comparative analysis of diploid and invasive polyploid spiny loaches of the genus Cobitis of two rivers of the Middle Dnieper basin showed that these forms do not differ in the degree of resistance to the invasion by bloodfish parasites Trypanosoma cobitis, although the fraction of fragmented nuclei of erythrocytes is unambiguously higher in polyploid forms (especially tetraploid forms) than in diploid forms. Nevertheless, this negative circumstance has no effect on the general fitness of triploid and tetraploid individuals, whose representation in the Dnipro basin is much higher than that of the diploids and is due to the expansion that took place in the 1960s. The studied indicators are subject to seasonal dynamics. The maximum contamination is achieved in the first decade of August, and the greatest number of fragmented nuclei of red blood cells falls in September.
|Keywords: blood parasite, Cobitis, diploid-polyploid forms, micronucleus|
- Il'inskih, N. N., Il'inskih, I. N., Novitskiy, V. V. & Vanchugova, N. N. (1992). Micronucleus analysis and cytogenetic instability. Tomsk: Izd-vo Tomsk. un-ty (in Russian).
- Losev, A. A. (2004). Using of spined loach Cobitis taenia (Osteichthies: Cobitidae) for determination of fishes blood parasites in pond. Rybne hospodarstvo, Iss. 63, pp. 139-142 (in Russian).
- Mezhzherin, S. V. & Pavlenko, L. I. (2010). Genetic diversity, origin and geographic distribution tendencies of polyploidy spined loaches in Ukraine body. Cytology and Genetics, 44, No. 5, pp. 65-77 (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.3103/S0095452710050105
- Mezhzherin, S. V. & Chudakorova, T. Yu. (2001). Expansion of triploid allfemalr spined loaches Sobitis taenia L. 1758 (Cypriniformes, Cobitidae) I water systems of Ukraine. Dopov. Nac. acad. nauk Ukr., No. 9, pp. 153-157 (in Russian).
- Mezhzherin, S. V. & Chudakorova, T. Yu. (2002). The Genetic structure of diploid-polyploid complex of the spined loach Cobitis taenia (Cypriniformes: Cobitidae) from the Middle Dnieper basin. Rus. J. Genet., 38, Iss. 1, pp. 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013719912744
- Maynard, S. J. (1978). The Evolution of Sex. Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press.
- Heddle, J. A. (1973). A rapid in vivo test for chromosomal damage. Mutat. Res., 18, pp. 187-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(73)90035-3
- Vrijenhoek, R. C., Angus, R. A. & Schultz, R. J. (1977). Variation and heterozygosity in sexually vs. clonally reproducing populations of Poeciliopsis. Evolution, 31, No. 4, pp. 767-781. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1558-5646.1977.tb01069.x
- Vrijenhoek, R. C. & Parker, J. E. D. (2009). Geographical parthenogenesis: general purpose genotypes and frozen niche variation. In Schön I., Martens K., Van Dijk P.J. (Eds). Lost Sex: the Evolutionary Biology of Parthenogenesis (pp. 99-131). Springer: Dordrecht. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2770-2_6