|1Zlatohurska, MA, 2Tovkach, FI |
1I. I. Mechnikov Odessa National University
2D.K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2017, 6:82-87|
A comparative study of virion DNAs of phages 49 and 59 by the standard restriction and bioinformatic analyses is conducted. It has been shown that the genomes of both bacteriophages are cyclically permuted, but phage 59 is characterized by continuous permutation of the genome, while phage 49 has discrete permutation. Virion DNA of phage 49 has an abnormal cleavage site for SmaI restriction enzyme that, unlike the rest SmaIsites, is not completely hydrolyzed.
|Keywords: bacteriophages 49 and 59, bioinformatic analysis, circular and discrete permutation, headful packaging mechanism, restriction analysis|
- Ackermann, H. W. & Kropinski, A. M. (2007). Curated list of prokaryote viruses with fully sequenced genomes. Res Microbiol., 158, No. 7, pp. 555-566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resmic.2007.07.006
- Sherwood, R., Sasjens, S. R. & Gilcrease, E. B. (2009). Determining DNA packaging strategy by analysis of the termini of the chromosomes in tailed-bacteriophage virions. Meth. Mol. Biol., 502, pp. 91-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-60327-565-1_7
- Tovkach, F. I., Grigoryan, Yu. A., Ruban, V. I. & Kishko, Ya. G. (1985). Comparative description of temperate phages Erwinia carotovora 268. Microbiol Zh., 47, No. 1, pp. 59-64 (in Russian).
- Tovkach, F. I., Shevchenko, T. V., Gorb, T. E., Mukvich, N. S. & Romanyuk, L. V. (2002). Comparative study of properties of temperate erwiniophages 49 and 59. Microbiol Zh., 64, No. 2, pp. 65-81(in Russian).
- Tovkach, F. I., Grigoryan, Yu. A., Ruban, V. I., Danileichenko, V. V. & Kishko, Ya. G. (1988). Restriction map of permutants DNA of temperate bacteriophage 59 Erwinia carotovora. Mol. Gen. Mikrobiol. Virusol., 1, pp. 20–24 (in Russian).
- Kishko, Ya. G., Grigoryan, Yu. A., Tovkach, F. I., Ruban, V. I. & Mashkovsky, N. N. (1984). Study of homology of temperate viruses of polylysogenic culture Erwinia carotovora. Dokl. AN SSSR, 277, No. 5, pp. 1250-1251 (in Russian).
- McClelland, M., Nelson, M. & Raschke, E. (1994). Effect of site-specific modification on restriction endonucleases and DNA modification methyltransferases. Nucleic Acids Res., 22, No. 17, pp. 3640-3659. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.17.3640
- Ptashne, M. A (2004). Genetic Switch: Phage Lambda. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Armstrong, K. & Bauer, W. R. (1982). Preferential site-dependent cleavage by restriction endonuclease PstI. Nucleic Acids Res., 10, No. 3, pp. 993-1007. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/10.3.993