|1Sokolova, LK, 1Pushkarev, VM, 1Belchina, Yu.B, 1Pushkarev, VV, 1Tronko, ND |
1V.P. Komisarenko Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism of the NAMS of Ukraine, Kyiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2017, 6:96-100|
We have studied the activity of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), which controls the energy balance in a cell, after the treatment of patients with diabetes with hypoglycemic agents. It is shown for the first time that metformin increases the AMPK activity in lymphocytes. Dapagliflozin, an inhibitor of sodium-dependent glucose transporter, also increases the protein kinase activity in blood cells and exerts an additive effect to metformin. The mechanisms of impact of the antidiabetic drugs on the level of AMPK activity are discussed.
|Keywords: AMPK, dapagliflozin, diabetes, metformin|
- Saha, A.K., Xu, X.J., Balon, T.W. et al. (2011). Insulin resistance due to nutrient excess. Is it a consequence of AMPK downregulation? Cell Cycle, 10, No. 20, pp. 3447-3451.
- Filippatos, T.D., Liberopoulos, E.N. & Elisaf, M.S. (2015). Dapagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ther. Adv. Endocrinol. Metab., 6, No. 1, pp. 29-41.
- Ruderman, N.B., Carling, D., Prentki, M. & Cacicedo, J.M. (2013). AMPK, insulin resistance, and the metabolic syndrome. J. Clin. Invest., 123, No. 7, pp. 2764-2772.
- Xiao, B., Sanders, M.J., Underwood, E. et al. (2011). Structure of mammalian AMPK and its regulation by ADP. Nature, 472, No. 7342, pp. 230-233.
- Racioppi, L. & Means, A.R. (2012). Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase 2: roles in signaling and patho physiology. J. Biol. Chem., 287, No. 38, pp. 31658-31665.
- Jeong, K.J., Kim, G.W. & Chung, S.H. (2014). AMP-activated protein kinase: An emerging target for ginseng. J. Ginseng Res., 38, pp. 83-88.
- An, H. & He, L. (2016). Current understanding of metformin effect on the control of hyperglycemia in diabetes. J. Endocrinol., 228, No. 3, pp. R97-R106.
- Meng, S., Cao, J., He, Q. et al. (2015). Metformin activates AMP-activated protein kinase by promoting formation of the αβγ heterotrimeric complex. J. Biol. Chem., 290, pp. 3793-3802.
- Chang, Y.K., Choi, H., Jeong, J.Y. et al. (2016). Dapagliflozin, SGLT2 inhibitor, attenuates renal ischemiareperfusion injury. PLoS One, 11, No. 7, e0158810.
- Zinman, B., Wanner, C., Lachin, J.M. et al. (2015). Empagliflozin, cardiovascular outcomes, and mortality in type 2 diabetes. New Engl. J. Med., 373, No. 22, pp. 2117-2128.