|1Kartel, NT, 1Ivanov, LV, Karachevtsev, VA, 2Lyapunov, AN, 3Nardid, OA, 4Cherkashina, Ya.O, Leontiev, VS, Ivanov, AY |
1O. O. Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
2State Scientific Institution "Institute for Single Crystals" of the NAS of Ukraine, Kharkiv
3Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine of the NAS of Ukraine, Kharkiv; V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University
4Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine of the NAS of Ukraine, Kharkiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2017, 8:71-79|
The effect of oxidized graphene on the microviscosity of erythrocyte membranes, as well as the viscosity of the water-protein plasma phase, is studied by the spin probe method. The introduction of oxidized graphene into a suspension of erythrocytes did not lead to significant changes in the microviscosity of their membranes. After four hours of incubation, an insignificant increase in the microviscosity is observed, apparently due to the sorption of oxidized graphene on membranes. The obtained results indicate the stability of the structure of erythrocyte membranes upon the interaction with oxidized graphene, which can be considered a sufficiently cytocompatible material. The introduction of oxidized graphene into plasma leads to a gradual increase in the viscosity of the water-protein phase from the macromolecules of serum albumin and other plasma proteins within the first 24 hours. The obtained data confirm the insignificant cytotoxicity of oxidized graphene in comparison with carbon nanotubes, which are able to significantly increase the membrane microviscosity of erythrocyte and break their integrity.
|Keywords: carbon nanotubes, cytotoxicity of oxidized grapheme, microviscosity of erythrocyte membranes, serum albumin, spin probe method|
- Feng, L., Wu, L. & Qu, X. (2013). New horizons for diagnostics and therapeutic applications of graphene and graphene oxide. Adv. Mater., 25, No. 2, pp. 168-186. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201203229
- Mannoor, M.S., Tao, H., Clayton, J. D., Sengupta, A., Kaplan, D. L., Naik, R. R., Verma, N., Omenetto, F. G. & McAlpine, M. C. (2012). Graphene-based wireless bacteria detection on tooth enamel. Nat. Commun., 3, Art. 763, 8 pp. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms1767
- Yang, K., Zhang, S., Zhang, G., Sun, X., Lee, S. T. & Liu, Z. (2010). Graphene in mice: ultrahigh in vivo tumor uptake and efficient photothermal therapy. Nano Lett., 10, No. 9, pp. 3318-3323. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl100996u
- Li, M., Yang, X., Ren, J., Qu, K. & Qu, X. (2012). Using graphene oxide high near-infrared absorbance for photothermal treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Adv. Mater., 24, No. 13, pp. 1722-1728. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201104864
- Zhang, Y., Ali, S. F., Dervishi, E., Xu, Y., Li, Z., Casciano, D. & Biris, A. S. (2010). Cytotoxicity effects of graphene and single-wall carbon nanotubes in neural phaeochromocytoma-derived PC12 cells. ASC Nano, 4, No. 6, pp. 3181-3186. https://doi.org/10.1021/nn1007176
- Liechtenstein, G. I. (1974). The method of spin labels in molecular biology. Moscow: Nauka (in Russian).
- Berliner, L. (Ed). (1979). The method of spin labels. Theory and applications. Moscow: Mir (in Russian).
- Moiseeva, N. N., Kravchenko, L. P., Semenchenko, A. A., Petrenko, A. Yu. (2002). Effect of transplantation of hepatocytes subjected to hypothermic storage on liver regeneration in rats after partial hepatectomy. Probl. Cryobiol., No. 1, pp. 24-31 (in Russian).
- Ivanov, L. V., Lyapunov, O. M., Kartel, M. T., Nardid, O. A., Okotrub, A. V., Kirilyuk, I. A., Cherkashina, Ya. O. (2014). Delivery of spin probes by carbon nanotubes in erythrocytes and plasma of blood. Surface, Iss. 6, pp. 292-304.
- Kartel, M. T., Ivanov, L. V., Lyapunov, O. M., Nardid, O. A., Okotrub, A. V., Kirilyuk, I. A. & Cherkashina, Ya. O. (2015). Estimation of the effect of carbon nanotubes on the microviscosity of erythrocyte membranes by the spin probe method. Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr., No. 3, pp.114-121 (in Russian). doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2015.03.114
- Salvador-Morales, C., Flahaut, E., Sim, E., Sloan, J., Green, M.L.H. & Sim, R.B. (2006). Complement activation and protein adsorption by carbon nanotubes. Mol. Immunol., 43, No. 3, pp. 193-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2005.02.006
- Sergeev, P. V. (Ed). (1982). Biochemical Pharmacology. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola (in Russian).
- Kartel, N. T., Grischenko, V. I., Chernukh, V. P., Ivanov, L. V., Nardid, O. A., Sementsov, Yu. I., Prikhod'ko, G. P., Kovalenko, S. N., Gubin, Yu. I. & Repina, S. V. (2009). Application of the spin label method to estimate cytotoxicity of carbon nanotubes. Dopov. Nac. acad. nauk. Ukr., No. 8, pp. 127-133 (in Russian).