|1Ivannikov, RV |
1M.M. Gryshko National Botanic Garden of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
2O. O. Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2019, 10:67-73|
Bioactive extracts from the leaves of the plants of Orchidaceae Juss. are prepared, and antioxidant properties of the extracts are investigated. Gelatine and silica-gelatine films with incorporated antioxidants molecules are obtained using the extracts as bioactive ingredients. The swelling of the films in the aqueous medium and the desorption of the bioactive compounds into water are studied. The inclusion of the extracts in both gelatine and silica-gelatine films are found not to affect the films properties, while the presence of silica in the films leaded to a significant retardation of the swelling of films and to a deceleration of the antioxidants desorption. Thus, the silica-gelatine films with embedded orchid extracts seem to be promising dosage forms for the prolonged antioxidants release: the components of the extracts are effective natural antioxidants, while the silica-gelatine matrix provides their gradual release and prolonged action.
|Keywords: desorption, Orchidaceae Juss. extracts, silica-gelatine films, swelling|
1. Ciper, M. & Bodmeier, R. (2006). Modified conventional hard gelatin capsules as fast disintegrating dosa ge form in the oral cavity. Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm., 62, No. 2, pp. 178-184. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2005.08.014
2. Buice, R.G., Gold, T.B., Lodder, R.A. & Digenis, G.A. (1995). Determination of moisture in intact gelatin capsules by near-infrared spectrophotometry. Pharm. Res., 12, No. 1, pp. 161-163. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016219611132
3. Cetin, E.O., Buduneli, N., Atlthan, E. & Kirilmaz, L. (2005). In vitro studies of degradable device for controlled release of meloxicam. J. Clin. Periodontol., 32, No. 7, pp. 773-777. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2005.00755.x
4. Fujitsu, M., Hattori, M. & Tamura, T. (1997). Effect of hydroxyl compounds on gel formation of gelatin. Colloid Polym. Sci., 275, No. 1, pp. 67-72. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s003960050053
5. Stavinskaya, O., Laguta, I. & Orel, I. (2014). Silica-gelatin composite materials for prolonged desorption of bioactive compounds. Mater. Sci. Medzg., 20, No. 2, pp. 171-176. doi: https://doi.org/10.5755/j01.ms.20.2.4966
6. Smitha, S., Mukundan, P., Krishna, P. & Warrier, K.G.K. (2007). Silica-gelatin bio-hybrid and transparent nano-coatings through sol-gel technique. Mater. Chem. Phys., 103, No. 2-3, pp. 318–322. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2007.02.068
7. Ferreira, V.F. & Pinto, A.C. (2010). Phytotherapy in the world today. Quim. Nova, 33, No. 9, pp. 1829 (in Portuguese). doi: https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-40422010000900001
8. Zhang, X., Do, M.D., Casey, P., Sulistio, A., Qiao, G.G., Lundin, L., Lillford, P. & Kosaraju, S. (2010). Chemical cross-linking gelatin with natural phenolic compounds as studied by high-resolution NMR spectroscopy. Biomacromolecules, 11, No. 4, pp. 1125-1132. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/bm1001284
9. Zhao, Y., Li, Z., Yang, W., Xue, C., Wang, Y., Dong, J. & Xue, Y. (2016). Modification of gelatine with Galla chinensis extract, a natural crosslinker. Int. J. Food Prop., 19, No. 4, pp. 731-744. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2015.1013633
10. Alonso, A.M., Domianguez, C., Guillean, D. & Barroso, C.G. (2002). Determination of antioxidant power of red and white wines by a new electrochemical method and its correlation with polyphenolic content. J. Agric. Food Chem., 50, No. 11, pp. 3112-3115. doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0116101
11. Brand-Williams, W., Cuvelier, M.E. & Berset, C. (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT — Food Sci. Technol., 28, No. 1, pp. 25-30. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
12. Komarova, M.N., Nikolaeva, L.A. & Regir, V.G. (1998). Phytochemical analysis of medicinal plants: guidelines for laboratory studies. St. Petersburg: Sankt-Peterburgskaya gosudarstvennaya khimiko-farmatsevticheskaya akademiya (in Russian).
13. Stewart, J.J.P. (2016). MOPAC2016. Stewart Computational Chemistry, Colorado Springs, CO, USA. Retrieved from http://openmopac.net
14. Pasynsky, A.G. (1959). Colloidal chemistry: a textbook for high schools. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola (in Russian).