|Title||Forecast of weather disasters in the Black Sea region|
|Publication Type||Journal Article|
|Year of Publication||2014|
|Authors||Ivanov, VA, Shokurov, MV, Dulov, VA, Chechina, EV|
|Abbreviated Key Title||Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr.|
Means for the operational forecast of catastrophic weather events in the Black Sea region based on MM5 and WRF mesoscale atmospheric models and WAM wave model are presented. It is shown that the flooding in the Krasnodar Region, Russia, July 7, 2012 was predicted five days before the tragic events, and the catastrophic storm of November 11, 2007 off the coast of the Crimea was also predicted three days in advance. Quality of the regional forecast of MHI NASU and its advantages over the global forecast are discussed. The operational regional modeling of the atmosphere in MHI NASU could become an important element of a possible early warning system for weather disasters in the Azov-Black Sea region.
|Keywords||Black Sea region, weather disasters|
1. 5-Day weather forecast over the Black Sea. Marine Hydrophysical Institute of NAS of Ukraine, 2007–2013. Retrieved from http://vao.hydrophys.org.
2. Global Forecast System, National Weather Service, NOAA, USA. Environment. Model. Center, 2013. Retrieved from http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/index.php?branch=GFS.
3. European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts. Intergovernmental organisation, London, UK, 2008–2013. Retrieved from http://www.ecmwf.int/about/overview.
4. Clark A. J., Weiss S. J., John S. et al. Bull. Am. Meteor. Soc., 2012, 93: 55–74. https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00040.1
5. Skamarock W. C., Klemp J. B., Dudhia J. et al. NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN. 475+STR, 2008; Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division. National Center of Atmospheric Research, 2008.
6. Efimov V. V., Stanichnyi S. V., Shokurov M. V., Yarovaya D. A. Metereologiia i gidrologiia, 2008, No. 4: 53–62 (in Russian).
7. Efimov V. V., Barabanov V. S. Mor. gidrofiz. zhurn., 2009, No. 5: 23–36 (in Russian).
8. Ivanov V. A., Ovcharenko I. A., Prusov A. V., Shokurov M. V. Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr., 2012, No. 8: 79–84 (in Russian).
9. Ivanov V. A., Dulov V. A., Kuznetsov S. Yu. et al. Geography, Environment, Sustainability, 2012, 5, No. 1: 84–111.
10. Holthuijsen L. H. Waves in Oceanic and Coastal Waters. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511618536
11. Ovsienko S. N. Fashchuk D. Ya., Zatsepa S. N. et al. Tr. gos. okeanograf. in-ta., 2008, 211: 307–339 (in Russian).
12. Center for Satellite Applications and Research, NOAA Satellite and Information Service (NESDIS), NOAA, USA. Ocean Surface Winds Team. 2013. Retrieved from http://manati.star.nesdis.noaa.gov.
13. Kuklev S. B., Moskalenko L. V., Melnikov V. A. et al. Sovrem. probl. distants. zondirovaniia Zemli iz kosmosa, 2013, 10, No. 1: 81–92 (in Russian).
14. Dundee Satellite Receiving Station. Dundee University, 2013. Retrieved from http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk .