|Title||Neutron investigations of the processes of self-diffusion of molecules in the heavy water-glycerol system as functions of the temperature and concentration|
|Publication Type||Journal Article|
|Year of Publication||2018|
|Authors||Vasylkevych, OA, Slisenko, VI|
|Abbreviated Key Title||Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr.|
The results of studies of the self-diffusion of glycerol molecules in a solution of heavy water-glycer ol at two concentrations x = 0.046 molar fractions and x = 0.055 mol. f. in the temperature range 2-10 °C by the method of quasi-elastic scattering of slow neutrons are presented. The values of the total coefficient of self-diffusion and its one-particle and collective components are obtained. Anomalous behavior has been revealed in their temperature dependence: at T = 3 °C and the solution concentration, especially at x = 0.046 mol. f., a deep minimum is observed. Herewith. the lifetime of glycerol molecules in the vibrational state increases substantially. This can be explained by the fact that glycerol molecules at a given temperature and concentration effectively bind water molecules, forming complexes and thereby reducing their mobility. The change in the concentration of glycerol molecules to 0.055 mol. f. leads to a sharp increase (by 40 %) in the intensity of diffusion processes.
|Keywords||clusterization. water, glycerol, quasi-elastic scattering of slow neutrons, self-diffusion coefficient, single-particle and collective components of the coefficient of self-diffusion|
- Vuks, M. F. (1977). Scattering of light in gases, liquids and solutions. Leningrad: Izd-vo Leningrad. Un-ta (in Russian).
- Bulavin, L. A., Verbinskya, G. M. & Krotenko, V. T. (1991). Single-particle and collective contributions to the self-diffusion coefficient of methyl alcohol. Fizika zhidkogo sostoyaniya, No. 19, pp. 40-43 (in Russian).
- Oskotsky, V. S. (1963). To the theory of quasi-elastic scattering of cold neutrons in a liquid. Fizika tverdogo tela, 5, No. 4, pp. 1082-1085 (in Russian).
- Bulavin, L. A., Karmazina, T. V., Klepko, V. V. & Slisenko, V. I. (2005). Neutron spectroscopy of condensed media. Kyiv: Akademperiodyka (in Ukrainian).
- Voiter, A. P., Slisenko, V. I., Doronin, M. I., Maznyi, I. O., Vasilkevich, O. A., Golik, V. V., Kovalev, O. M., Kopachev, V. I. & Savchuk, V. G. (2010). Multichannel analyzer for neutron time-of-flight spectrometer. Nuclear physics and atomic energy, 11, No. 1, pp. 90-96 (in Ukrainian).
- Chechko, V. Eu., Lokotosh, T. V., Malomuzh, N. P., Zaremba, V. G. & Gotsul'sky, V. Ya. (2003). Clusterization and anomalies of fluctuations in water-alcohol solutions low concentrations. J. Phus. Stud., 7, No. 2, pp. 175- 183 (in Ukrainian).
- Malomuzh, N. P. & Slipchak, E. L. (2007). The cluster structure of dilute aqueous-alcohol solutions and the features of molecular light scattering in them. J. Phys. Chem., 81, No. 11, pp. 1-6 (in Russian)