|Title||Orthovanadate nanoparticles delay the accelerated aging in rats via the prevention of oxidative disturbances|
|Publication Type||Journal Article|
|Year of Publication||2020|
|Authors||Nikitchenko, YV, Klochkov, VK, Kavok, NS, Karpenko, NA, Sedyh, OO, Bozhkov, AI, Malyukin, YV, Seminozhenko, VP|
|Abbreviated Key Title||Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr.|
The abilities of gadolinium orthovanadate nanoparticles (GdVO4 : Eu3+ NPs, 8x25 nm) to ameliorate age-related lesions have been studied. To achieve the goal, a model of accelerated aging due to postnatal overfeeding (POF) was used. The features of the model are oxidative misbalance and decrease in survival, as well as adverse metabolic effects. The NPs were orally administrated (briefly or continuously) with drinking water to rats with accelerated aging. Then the prooxidant-antioxidant balance (in liver and blood), survival, and life expectancy were examined. In young (3 months-old) rats with accelerated aging, already the short-term (2 months) NPs implementation significantly corrects the oxidative disturbance. The prolonged use of NPs from 11 to 31 months of life ameliorates significantly the prooxidant-antioxidant misbalance in the liver and blood of POF rats. Wherein, the observed median of survival in the control group is 890 days, in the group with accelerated aging — only 710 days, while the additional receive of NPs increases the score — already 940 days. Furthermore, the death of the last animal in the control group is observed by day 1130, at accelerated aging — by day 1000, and at accelerated aging with additional NPs using — by day 1250. Thus, the both indicators — the survival and the lifespan, are increased due to the NPs applications by 32 % and 25%, respectively, compared with the accelerated ageing group, which receives no NPs. The obtained data show that the prolonged GdVO4 : Eu3+ NPs application in animals with experimental accele ra ted aging corrects the oxidative misbalance as well as increases the survival of elderly animals. Discovered effects make these nanoparticles a promising geroprotective agent, decreasing the risk of increased mortality and morbidity at premature ageing — adverse consequences of the overnutrition in early life.
|Keywords||accelerated aging, early postnatal overfeeding, GdVO4 : Eu3+ nanoparticles, lifespan, male rats, prooxidant-antioxidant balance, survival|
1. Frolkis, V. V. & Muradian, K. K. (1991). Life span prolongation. Boston-London: CRC Press.
2. Yu, B. P., Lim, B. O., & Sugano, M. (2002). Dietary restriction downregulates free radical and lipid peroxide production: plausible mechanism for elongation of life span. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. (Tokyo), 48, No. 4, pp. 257-264. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.48.257
3. Masoro, E. J. (2000). Caloric restriction and aging: an update. Exp. Gerontol., 35, pp. 299–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0531-5565(00)00084-X
4. Nikitchenko, Yu. V., Dzuba, V. M., Popovich, А. S., Bondar, V. V. & Sheremet, G. О. (2009). Activity of enzymatic antioxidant system in the rat tissues under over- and restricted nutrition. Ukrain. biochem. J., 81, No. 6, pp. 104-110 (in Ukrainian). http://ubj.biochemistry.org.ua/index.php/en/journal-archive/2009-16384/n...
5. Bozhkov, A. I. & Nikitchenko, Yu. V. (2013). Caloric restriction diet induces specific epigenotypes associated with life span extension. J. Nutrition. Therapeut., 2, No. 1, pp. 30-39. http://www.lifescienceglobal.com/pms/index.php/jnt/article/view/693
6. Frolkis, V. V., Grigorov, Yu. G., Pisarchuk, K. L. & Medovar, B. J. (1992). Influence of overnutrition in postnatal period on aging and life span. Problems of aging and longevity, 2, No. 4, pp. 339-347 (in Russian).
7. Bozhkov, A. I., Nikitchenko, Yu. V. & Al-Bahadly Ali, M. M. (2016). Overeating in Early Postnatal Ontogenesis Forms Metabolic Memory and Reduces Lifespan. J. Gerontol. Geriatr. Res. 5:3. 9 p. https://doi.org/10.4172/2167-7182.1000309
8. Nikitchenko, Yu. V., Klochkov V. K., Kavok, N. S., Karpenko, N. A., Sedych O. О., Bozhkov, A. I., Malyukin Yu. V. & Semynozhenko V. P. (2020). Gadolinium orthovanadate nanoparticles increase survival of old rats. Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr., No. 2, pp. 29-36 (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2020.02.029
9. Klochkov, V. K., Malyshenko, A. I., Sedyh, O. O. & Malyukin Y. V. (2011). Wet-chemical synthesis and characterization of luminescent colloidal nanoparticles: ReVO4 : Eu3+(Re = La, Gd, Y) with rod-like and spindlelike shape. Funct. Mat., 18, No. 1, pp. 111-115. http://dspace.nbuv.gov.ua/handle/123456789/135437
10. Klochkov, V. K., Grigorova, A. V., Sedyh, O. O. & Malyukin, Y. V. (2012). Characteristics of nLnVO4 : Eu3+ (Ln = La, Gd, Y, Sm) sols with nanoparticles of different shapes and sizes. J. Appl. Spectrosc., 79, No. 5, pp. 726-730. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10812-012-9662-7
11. Nikitchenko, Yu. V. (2012). Prooxidant-antioxidant system in ageing processes and experimental approaches to its correction (Extended abstract of Doctor thesis). V. Karasin National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine (in Russian).
12. Averchenko, E. A., Kavok, N. S., Klochkov, V. K. & Malyukin, Y. V. (2014). Chemiluminescent diagnostics of free-radical processes in an abiotic system and in liver cells in the presence of nanoparticles based on rareearth elements nReVO4:Eu3+(Re = Gd, Y, La) and CeO2. J. Appl. Spectrosc., 81, No. 5, pp. 827-833. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10812-014-0012-9