|Title||On the influence of finite initial deformations on the surface instability of the incompressible elastic layer interacting with the half-space of an ideal fluid|
|Publication Type||Journal Article|
|Year of Publication||2021|
|Abbreviated Key Title||Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr.|
The problem of the propagation of quasi-Lamb waves in a pre-deformed incompressible elastic layer that interacts with the half-space of an ideal compressible fluid is considered. The study is conducted on the basis of the three-dimensional linearized equations of elasticity theory of finite deformations for the incompressible elastic layer and on the basis of the three-dimensional linearized Euler equations for the half-space of an ideal compressible fluid. The problem is formulated, and the approach based on the utilization of representations of the general solutions of the linearized equations for an elastic solid and a fluid is developed. Applying the Fourier method, we arrive at two eigenvalue problems for the equations of motion of the elastic body and the fluid. Solving them, we find the eigenfunctions. Substituting the general solutions into the boundary conditions, we obtain a homogeneous system of linear algebraic equations for the arbitrary constants. From the condition for the existence of a nontrivial solution, we derive the dispersion equation. A dispersion equation, which describes the propagation of normal waves in the hydroelastic system, is obtained. The dispersion curves for quasi-Lamb waves over a wide range of frequencies are constructed. The effect of the finite initial deformations in an elastic layer, the thickness of the elastic layer, and the half-space of an ideal compressible fluid on the phase velocities and dispersion of quasi-Lamb modes are analyzed. It follows from the graphical material presented above that, in the case of compression with 0.54, i.e., with a 46 percent’s reduction in the length of the highly elastic incompressible body, the phase velocities of the surface waves (Stoneley waves and Rayleigh waves) vanish. This indicates that surface instability develops at 0.54 for a highly elastic incompressible non-Hookean body initially in a plane stress-strain state. We should point out that these figures agree with results obtained earlier in the theory of stability and correspond to the critical value of the contraction parameter. In the case of highly elastic incompressible bodies, the linearized wave theory makes it possible to study not only general and several specific wave processes, but also the conditions under which the surface instability begins in elastic bodies and hydroelastic systems. It also follows from the graphs that the ideal fluid slightly affects the surface instability of hydroelastic systems. The numerical results are presented in the form of graphs, and their analysis is given.
|Keywords||dispersion of quasi-Lamb waves, finite initial deformation., half-space of an ideal compressible fluid, incompressible elastic layer, surface instability|
1. Guz, A. N., Zhuk, A. P. & Bagno, A. M. (2016). Dynamics of elastic bodies, solid particles, and fluid parcels in a compressible viscous fluid (review). Int. Appl. Mech., 52, No. 5, pp. 449-507. https://doi.org/10.1007/S10778-016-0770-6
2. Guz, A. N., Zhuk, A. P. & Makhort, F. G. (1976). Waves in layer with initial stresses. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka (in Russian).
3. Guz, A. N. (1986). Elastic waves in bodies with initial stresses. 2 vols. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka (in Russian).
4. Guz, A. N. (2004). Elastic waves in bodies with initial (residual) stresses. Kyiv: A.C.K. (in Russian).
5. Guz, A. N. (1998). Dynamics of compressible viscous fluid. Kyiv: A.C.K. (in Russian).
6. Guz, A. N. (2009). Dynamics of compressible viscous fluid. Cambridge: Cambridge Scientific Publishers.
7. Guz, A. N. (1980). Aerohydroelasticity problems for bodies with initial stresses. Int. Appl. Mech., 16, No. 3, pp. 175-190. https://doi.org/ 10.1007/BF00885084
8. Guz, A. N. (1979). Stability of elastic bodies under hydrostatic pressure. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka (in Russian).
9. Guz, A. N. (1973). Stability of elastic bodies under finite deformations. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka (in Russian).
10. Babich, S. Yu., Guz, A. N. & Zhuk, A. P. (1979). Elastic waves in bodies with initial stresses. Int. Appl. Mech., 15, No. 4, pp. 277-291. https://doi.org/ 10.1007/BF00884760
11. Zhuk, A. P. (1980). Stoneley wave in a medium with initial stresses. J. Appl. Mech., 16, No. 1, pp. 113-116 (in Russian).
12. Viktorov, I. A. (1981). Sound surface waves in solids. Moscow: Nauka (in Russian).