|1Mezhzherin, SV |
1I. I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of the NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv
|Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk Ukr. 2019, 10:97-103|
As a result of a screening study of the spined loach populations of the hybrid group Cobitis elongatoides — taenia — tanaitica of Ukrainian water systems, the cases of mass anomalies of allozyme spectra of polyploids specimens characterized by clone reproducing were revealed. Anomalies occur locally and were found only in populations of the two right tributaries of the upper part of the Middle Dnieper (the Irpen River and the upper part of the Teteriv River system). This narrow region should be considered as a zone of genetic instability. Obviously, the anomalies have a mutational nature, since they are stably manifested in a number of generations. They can be classified into five types. The cause for their appearance should be considered chemical pollution. This situation of mass genetic abnormalities is unique and has not been observed anywhere before. Thus, surface water pollu tion in Ukraine in some regions has reached a critical level and leads to obvious genotoxic effects.
|Keywords: allozymes, clone spined loaches, Cobitis, genotoxicity, river systems of Ukraine|
1. Dubinin, N.P., Altukhov, Y.P., Salmenkova E.A., Milishnikov A.N. & Novikova T.A. (1975). Analysis of monomorphic gene markers in populations as method of estimation of environmental mutagenicity. Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 225, No. 3, pp. 693-696 (in Russian).
2. Mezhzherin, S.V. & Pavlenko, L.I. (2007). A case of hybridization in loaches (Osteichthies: Cibitidae: Cobitis) determining genetic instability and expansion. Tsitol. Genet., 41, No. 4, pp. 218-225. doi: https://doi.org/10.3103/S0095452707040056
3. Mezhzherin S.V., Tsyba, A.A., Mezhzherina, D.S. & Pukhtaevitch, P.P. (2014). Situation of the increasing pressure of genetic abnormalities in a diploid-polyploid of population spined loaches (Cypriniformes, Cobitidae, Cobitis). Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk. Ukr., No. 6, pp. 140-145 (in Russian). doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2014.06.140
4. Mezhzherin, S.V., Saliy, T.V., Mezhzherin, I.S., Losev, A.A. & Tsyba, A.A. (2018). Mass occurrence of the allozyme spectra changes in clonal spined loaches of the genus Cobitis caused by the anthropogenic pollution of the habitat. Dopov. Nac. akad. nauk. Ukr., No. 6, pp. 140-145 (in Russian). doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/dopovidi2018.05.075
5. Коrzhnev, M.М., Аndrievsky, І.D. & Shelyag-Sosonko, Y.R. (Eds.). (2001). Natural resource aspect of Ukraine's development. Kyiv: “КМ Academia” (in Ukrainian).
6. Slechtova, V., Luskova, V., Slechta, V., Lusk, S., Halacka, K. & Bohlen, J. (2000). Genetic differentiation of two diploid–polyploid complexes of spined loach, genus Cobitis (Cobitidae), in the Czech Republic, involving C. taenia, C. elongatoides, and C. spp.: allozyme interpopulation and interspecific differences. Folia Zool., 49, Suppl. 1, рр. 67-78.